#vanlife; Texas pt.1

{texas}

Once again, I started off my time in the state of Texas with a stop at the visitor's welcome centre.  The gentleman at the desk had more suggestions of things to see than I could possibly retain, and I left with plenty of reading material.  Behind the welcome centre they had a boardwalk over the swamp, so I went for a quick walk along & spotted an alligator!  I was glad to be up on the walkway out of his way...
Welcome to Texas!
I made it across I-10 to Houston in time for the evening with Dustin & Laura; we decided to go out to top golf which was a great first experience at a driving range!  We met Caitlyn & Chris at the driving range and had a really fun evening together.  The next morning, Laura and I went to explore George Ranch and saw the 4 historical homes there all from different time periods; 1830's, 1860's, 1890's & 1930's.  It was very interesting to see the transformation and progression of quality of life over the years.  In the 1930's home they had one of the very first dishwasher's ever made & sold at the world's fair - it cost $100 less than a Model-T car!

George Ranch; 1860's home
After our tour around the ranch, Laura & I went into Richmond for a delicious lunch at the Trough & a look around some of the small boutiques.  I left mid-afternoon to head towards Corpus Christi and followed the coastal route as far as I could.  I got into Corpus Christi just in time for bible study, then joined them afterwards for their Dairy Queen tradition... it was great to see an old friend from New York, Tim, and get to know some of the others in the area.  The Reid's were quite insistent that I spend the night with them, and I was happy to oblige.  The next morning we went out for breakfast overlooking the gulf & they took me on a short tour of Corpus Christi!

Corpus Christi; overlooking the Gulf of Mexico
I left Corpus Christi around noon and again continued along the gulf towards Mission, where my parents had been spending a couple months in their 5th wheel.  I got there in time for dinner with them & enjoyed catching up and seeing where they've been calling home.  I spent a full two weeks with them in Mission, with the 'mission' of getting a power system installed in my van & getting some dental work done in Mexico.  I managed to succeed on both accounts, and had a lot of fun in the process.
'home' in Mission, TX
Life in Mission revolves around food; all non-eating activities are scheduled accordingly and with far less priority.  There were breakfast's out, biscuit & gravy breakfasts, lunch's at the BBQ (soo good), ladies lunches & multiple potluck dinners (grapefruit pie.. i'll say no more).  In between all the food, we attended a local high school Mariachi show, went on a boat cruise along the Rio Grande, experienced ropa usada, played shuffleboard, did some sewing & made time for a nightly swim!  I also had four trips across to Progreso, Mexico to get a crown (you can call me Princess now..) & a lot of head-scratching to get a power source installed in my van (more on than in another post)..

Grapefruit pie & other potluck desert offerings
Mariachi Show, La Joya High School
Rio Grande River Cruise Crew
Ropa Usada; a whole new experience of thrift-store shopping
Progreso, Mexico; full of dentist's and pharmacies
J.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#vanlife; Southern Colorado & Northern Arizona

#vanlife; Idaho, Wyoming & Montana

#vanlife; Texas pt. 2