#vanlife; Utah

{utah}

It was a very short drive from Page across the state line into Utah, where I left civilization and gained cell service.  Utah has been high on my list of states to see for a while, so I was very happy to get across the state line and start exploring!

Welcome to Utah!
My first destination was Grand Staircase National Park, although I hadn't done my due diligence to realize that most of the park is only accessible by 4WD.  I stopped off at a little ranger station where Buckskin Gulch was recommended, so I headed towards that.  It was about 9 miles down a questionably drivable dirt road to the trailhead, where I followed wire pass through a dried-out wash into a slot canyon.  Not very far into the canyon there was a 8-foot drop over a boulder with the 'stepping stone' of a old log.  It was challenging to descend, but would prove more challenging to ascend.  The canyon was about a mile long before it came to a T, with the option of going to the left or the right.  I headed to the right, knowing that the slot canyon goes for about 16miles so I would have plenty to see.  I got about a mile in and the canyon floor turned to mud holes; after witnessing a lady go face-first into the mud I decided I would try the other direction instead.  I turned around and followed the left arm for about a mile to the end of the canyon, then headed back to the trailhead.
Wire Pass; entry to the slot canyon
Buckskin Gulch
From Buckskin Gulch, I drove to Kanab for a look around town and some more ideas of what to do.  I had a look at the reservoir there and enjoyed the afternoon in town before heading out to Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park.  It's more of a reddish orange than a coral pink, in my humble opinion, but I had a quick look around before spending my evening camped out on a single lane dirt country road, making a mini-puzzle, drinking tea & watching the sunset.  The very pleasant evening turned into a very cold night, and I woke up just barely above freezing.

Camp views
It was a short drive from my camp spot up to Mt. Carmel Junction, where I had plans to meet Miranda for a day of exploring Zion.  Unfortunately some car troubles put her a bit behind schedule, so I headed into the park for a little look around.  I enjoyed the viewpoints on the east side of the park and went to the visitors centre and museum.  Parking was chaotic to say the least, and the only spot I could find was a tiny parallel parking spot between a busy road and a sign; thankfully I somehow managed to get my van in there.

After a bit of exploring, I headed back to Mt Carmel to meet Miranda in her freshly-repaired truck and we headed into the park.  Once we got into the busy section, we took the first parking spot we could find and were lucky to only have a short walk to the shuttle.  We got off the shuttle a couple times to take in a couple viewpoints, then started the Angel's Landing hike!
Zion National Park
The first part of the hike is a nice paved/gravel path which winds up the mountain side in switchback after switchback.  We eventually made it through Walter's Wiggles and onto the top ridge.  Then, the real fun began - following the chain-lined path along the ridge to the very end!  It's very sheer cliffs off both sides of the ridge, but thankfully I could alternate my focus between my shoes and Miranda's blue backpack.  I did do my best to take in the views every once in a while, but generally did better if I didn't look around/down.  It actually is an amazing place, and I'm really glad I did the hike even though it was terrifying.
Walter's Wiggles; Angel's Landing hike
The ridge we hiked; Angel's Landing
At the top of Angel's Landing!
"Don't look down..."
We finished the hike around 6 and enjoyed a few moments of bliss soaking our feet in the river before we quick-timed it back to the van for some well-earned dinner.  Well fed and thoroughly tired out, we went back out to Carmel Junction to pick up Miranda's truck, then drove up to Hatch where we found a cow field next to a river to call home for the night.

We had good intentions of an early night and an early start to the day, but neither happened.  Instead, we got to Bryce Canyon later, but well-rested and far happier with life.  Miranda only had about an hour before she needed to get on the road so we went for a super quick hike partway into the canyon and then saw the arch.  We temporarily parted ways then, and I spent another couple hours exploring the amphitheatre portion of the park with a walk from Bryce Point to Inspiration Point.  It's a gorgeous overview of the incredible rock formations, and left me just wanting to explore more!

Bryce Canyon National Park
From Bryce Canyon I drove up to Provo, where I had a quick dinner with Miranda then drove her to the airport.  I spent the rest of the evening & next day relaxing.. and by 'relaxing' I mean doing laundry, washing dishes, organizing my van, catching up on paperwork.. things like that.  But also having a couch to sit on and just not being on the move for a full 24hrs, which was fantastic.

After church Sunday morning I hit the road again, this time bound for Arches National Park.  This was probably the park I was the most excited about & I wanted to see it ALL!  Turns out there's over 2000 arches in the park, so in reality I barely scratched the surface.

I got into the park mid-afternoon and started by getting my bearings at the visitors centre, then headed to Park Avenue to take in the view and walk along 'the avenue'.  From there I stopped off at La Sal Mountains viewpoint, Courthouse Towers viewpoint, then at Balanced rock for a walk around the gravity-defying boulder.

Park Avenue
Balanced Rock
Next I headed to the windows section, where I walked around Double Arch, Turret Arch, North window & South window.  They are all so amazing and massive!!

Double Arch
My next stop was the delicate arch viewpoints; I went to both the upper and lower viewpoints, but I definitely wanted to get closer so off I went on the hike out to the arch!  I had limited enthusiasm by that point in the day, but I was really glad I did it and it was so worth it.  I watched the sun sink over the horizon from the arch, then quickly made my way back to my van and back to the main highway where I'd scouted out a pull-off that would be my camp spot for the night.

Delicate Arch
I rolled myself out of bed and into the drivers seat the next morning, headed straight for the devil's garden area at the north end of the park.  I stopped off along the way for a look at fiery furnace (and a cup of tea), then found a spot to park for the hike to Landscape, Navajo, Partition & Double O arches.  The trail to landscape arch was a pretty easy trail, and the very wide but thin arch was very impressive.  From there, the trail followed a ridge and went up and down a few times before coming to Double O arch, which is literally one arch on top of another one - definitely one of my favourites.  I took a break there to take in the view, then took the detour to Navajo and Partition arches on the hike back - both very worthwhile!  I feel like I'm running short on adjectives, but it was absolutely incredible and I was blown away by the arch formations.

Landscape Arch
Partition Arch
Double O Arch
I got back to my van in time for a picnic lunch (popsicle included) and started the drive back to Provo, where I had plans to pick Miranda up from the airport.  The timing worked out perfectly and we spent the evening having a sewing night at her place.  She has an enviable fabric stash & it was so much fun to do a bit of sewing!

The next morning I headed into Salt Lake City to explore the city, and wandered Temple Square, a bit of the downtown & the state Capitol.  I came to the conclusion that the mormon's have a much larger flower budget than the state does for their grounds.  The temple was interesting to see, and the visitor's centre explained a little about their faith.  The capitol building was probably one of my favourite interiors so far, although realistically it's just a lot of wasted space in an effort to appear grand.
Utah State Capitol
Utah State Capitol interior
I got my fill of city-life and headed north, eventually losing most traces of civilization and entering the land of potatoes..

J.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#vanlife; Southern Colorado & Northern Arizona

#vanlife; Idaho, Wyoming & Montana

#vanlife; Texas pt. 2