Canada; Lunenburg, Nova Scotia to Quispamsis, New Brunswick

Week 7:
My favourite part... I really enjoyed Peggy's cove.. even in the fog! 
Miles... 594 

Day 41: Lunenberg, NS
13 miles 
This morning was another grey, drizzly morning and as such it was also a lazy morning. It did, however, clear up around 11 which I took full advantage of by heading into the town of Lunenberg to wander and explore the historical town; there were plenty of unique shops and historical buildings to enjoy.  I headed back to the house mid-afternoon and took the opportunity to catch up and make a few calls. I found myself a new book and it wasn't long until my friends S &R got home.  I spent a relaxing evening catching up with them and reading.. 
Doors of Lunenberg
Day 42: Lunenburg, NS 
158 miles 
Started this morning off with a cup of tea and some toast, then headed northeast along the coastal road.  I stopped off in a couple little towns along the way, getting a tea in Chester and lunch at a Lebanese restaurant a little further down the road. I eventually made my way to Peggy's Cove early afternoon and took my time wandering around there. It was quite foggy (again) but stunning nonetheless. After leaving Peggy's cove, I stopped off for gas and happened to run into a few friends from Ontario!  I carried on back towards Lunenberg, stopping off in Mahone Bay to check out the shops around there and even splurged on a new watch!  I got back into Lunenberg shortly after 4 and helped get dinner ready for the guests coming. We had a delicious dinner in great company.  S and I finished off the evening with a walk along the peninsula and then we all called it a night..
Swiss Air Flight 111 Memorial
Local Inukshuk settlement, Peggy's Cove
Rocks at Peggy's Cove
Foggy Lighthouse, Peggy's Cove
Village of Peggy's Cove

Day 43: Lunenburg, NS to Baccaro, NS
160 miles  
Another foggy, drizzly, grey day in the maritimes resulting in a lazy morning. After several weather checks, I decided to take a gamble and hit the road. I headed out around 10 from a fantastic stay with S & R, taking great memories with me. First order of business was out to the end of the peninsula to the recommended coffee shop, The Point General, and a look at the notable "blue rocks". From there, I rode through the drizzly fog over to The Ovens Natural Park where I found a hiking trail along the coast with several offshoots to lookout points in and out of a series of coastal caves.. Incredible! They are appropriately named Thunder Cave and Cannon Cave (etc.) due to the thundering crash as the water hits the end of the cave. After a well worthwhile stop, I headed inland to Bridgewater where I stopped for some lunch and realized that I was running a bit short on time. I followed the scenic highway anyway, and made it to Sandy Point just before 3, just in time for an early bible study.  After our bible study I continued making my way around the peninsula, stopping to see the Sandy Point Lighthouse and then into Shelburne for a little snack in the sunshine!! So so nice to see the sun finally peeking through!  Once on the road again, it was about an hour drive down to Baccaro where I'll spend the night. It's quite literally at the end of the road, but a very nice and quiet spot. Once I arrived, we had a lovely dinner together and then went for a drive to the lighthouse, around the peninsula, into town and over to Sable Island, pointing out lots of things along the way. On the way home we were treated to a gorgeous sunset.. 

The Ovens Natural Park

The Ovens Natural Park
A break from the fog!

Day 44: Baccaro, NS to Quispamsis, NB
169 miles 
I started this morning off with a delicious fruit smoothie, then I got packed up and headed out towards Digby. I followed the old highway along the coastline and stopped off in several places along the way.  My first stop was at Canada oldest courthouse, with a tour to see the jail cells and the court room from the 1800s.  My next stop was in Yarmouth for some lunch at a little cafe there and a walk around town.  A little further down the road I found North Americas largest wooden church (actually massive) and then another really large stone church (which actually looked a little like a castle). My next stop was at a lighthouse, which I could actually climb to the top of! So neat to be able to get to the top of one! It wasn't far from there into Digby where I decided to book the ferry over to New Brunswick, then wandered around the town. I got a delicious ice cream cone ($1.75 for two scoops of peanut buttery goodness!) and then went to the grocery store to pick up a few things to snack on along the ferry ride (including a green apple..). We left port at 5:30 and sun never stopped shining, even as we passed a couple of raindrops.  I arrived in Saint John around 8, and although the roads were soaked, it had stopped raining and I was able to get to my friends D & A's in good time! Their 3 girls were outside waiting for me when I pulled in the drive and made for a fantastic welcoming committee.. 
Port-La-Tour Wharf
Eglise Sainte-Marie; Largest wooden church in N.A.
From the light keepers perch..
Ice Cream & Sunshine in Digby
Ferry from Nova Scotia to New Brunswick

Day 45: Quispamsis, NB
0 miles 
This morning got off to a relaxing start, but after some breakfast we got the girls all ready for their swimming lessons and sent them off around noon. D and I took the chance to go check out Fort Howe, Mortadella Tower and Uptown Saint John. We started at the north market where we found a picnic spot for lunch, then followed the pedway up to another market to wander through.  From there we went through a city park, then back down along the main drag making a stop in at the local candy shop to try out some new flavours. We got back home a couple minutes before the kids got back and spent the rest of the afternoon playing at home. We were invited over to another family's home for dinner and enjoyed the evening with them..
Saint John

Day 46: Quispamsis, NB 
94 miles 
I got up a little earlier this morning and had some breakfast before E came over on her Kawasaki Ninja!  We headed out towards St. Martins and stopped off to see the caves and covered bridge there. From there, we followed the coast and rode the length of the Fundy Trail! At the end of the road we were admiring the view when, low and behold, E's husband flew over in his airplane!  After a wing-tip-wave, we headed back into town for fish & chips on the bayside patio..  the sun even came out for the occasion, so it was a lovely stop! When we got ready to leave we realized we had just missed the parade in the happening town, but we took in the last couple of floats (complete with the fat-mobile) and then headed back towards the heart of the town. Apparently a car show and a parade was a little more than the logistics of a one-way covered bridge could cope with, but eventually we made it and happened to run into some other friends when we got there! After catching up with them we climbed to the top of the lighthouse, checked out a few of the cars and ducked into a cute little gift shop.  It wasn't too far back home from there but we stopped off at Hunter Lake first for quick tour. Back at home, the girls had been busy "playing motorcycle" all day long, and were eager to show their skills. The evening was spent getting dinner and then we all faded rather rapidly.. Especially me as I pretend my throat isn't scratchy and sore..

Fundy Caves
Waterfall along the Fundy Trail
Fundy Trail Lookout
St Martins Covered Bridge


J.
Design Life.  Inspire Wonder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#vanlife; Southern Colorado & Northern Arizona

#vanlife; Idaho, Wyoming & Montana

#vanlife; Texas pt. 2